After this long and wild year, the holiday season for 2020 will be a much needed time to reconnect. Hosting a Thanksgiving event any year can be tough without a plan. Getting a small group of friends and family together could be just what you all need to motivate you all through the end of the year. But who wants any extra stress right now?
Make hosting your Thanksgiving event simple with the following steps from Famous Dave’s. Don’t forget that having your meal catered can help your group spend more quality time with each other instead of cooking and cleaning.
1. Plan Your Holiday Decorations
Don’t go crazy with this one. Luckily, the little touches can go a long way. Try a theme of orange or yellow harvest colors. Wreaths, flowers, candles, centerpieces for tables, and indoor lights will help you breathe so festivity into your home for the event.
2. Set the Table Early - Save Yourself Last Minute Problems
Events always are busier than you want. Take one more thing off your list of to-dos on Thanksgiving day by setting the table the night before. If you will need to use that table the evening before or the morning of the event, consider setting aside the dishes, silverware, and glasses that you will need for the meal. Pro tip - toss a sheet over everything if you own pets to keep hair away!
3. Set up a Drink Station
Having separate areas for different things can help your guests flow smoothly through your home without much guidance. Depending on how many guests you will have, consider different areas for water, non-alcoholic beverages, and adult beverages. Otherwise, throw a cooler in a corner and call it good! Hint - having mixed sangria is a nice festive drink option.
4. Get Your Guests in on the Action
It can be nice to cover everything to give everyone else some time off, but including others in your event helps them be more invested in its success. Get your friends and family to bring something! Consider having them bring sides or desserts so the meal won’t be ruined if they don’t come through on their dish. Consider asking them to bring their favorite drink. Or, guests could bring one decoration to add to your home!
5. Create a Timeline for Eating
When you and your guests all know the plan, things can go much more smoothly. Here is a sample breakdown by time for your Thanksgiving:
- Breakfast - Try to get this started at 9:00. Prep it the night before then bake or heat it up in the morning.
- Early Drinks and Snacks - Around 1:00 or so, have some snacks laid out and open up the drinks. These options will get your early guests something to do and something to take the edge of so no one gets hangry.
- Dinner - Start the big meal around 2:30.
- Coffee and Dessert - Once you are done with the meal, break out the sweets. It can be good to balance the sweets, the tryptophan, and the wine with some coffee.
Make Your Thanksgiving Meal a Breeze with Catering from Famous Dave’s
With everything going on before and during the big day, make your life easier with catering from Famous Dave’s. Our crew can wipe together some impressive BBQ dishes sure to put a smile on everyone’s face. No one will go hungry with our Thanksgiving spread. Focus on your guests and having a good time when you get catering from us.